The beautiful continent of South America has some of the best football stars in the world, and they are all set to compete on the grand stage next summer for the prestigious South American trophy.
This will be the 46th edition of the Copa America and will take place this year in Brazil. All of South America’s best teams are gearing up to fight for their biggest continental trophy.
The 2019 Copa America will commence on June 14, and it will run for three weeks till the final on July 7. The group stage draws, and match schedule was announced on 18 December 2018.
5 Facts About The 2019 Copa America
1. The 2019 Copa America will be the last edition which will be played on odd years. Starting from the year 2020, the tournament will be held in the same year as similar tournaments like the UEFA European Championship.
2. Qatar will make their debut appearance in the Copa América. They will become the first Arab nation to play in the South American tournament. On the other hand, Japan will be making their second appearance, their first since they first featured in 1999.
3. This will also be the first Copa América that will not feature any team from CONCACAF (North American region) since teams began to be invited. Mexico who have appeared since 1993 will not appear for the first time this year.
4. This year will mark it as the fifth time the Copa America will be held in Brazil, with the country previously hosting in 1989, that is 30 years ago.
5. The CONMEBOL had initially planned to make this year’s edition a 16-team tournament by inviting six other teams from outside CONMEBOL. They even announced that three teams from CONCACAF and three teams from Asian Football Confederation (AFC) would be invited to participate. However, they rescinded their decision.
This year’s Copa America promises to be an exciting one.