Tottenham Hotspurs have completed the signing of the French midfielder, Tanguy Ndombele Alvaro, from Ligue 1 side Lyon, for a club-record fee on a six-year contract. The fee is believed to be around €60m(£54m) with a further €10m (£8.9m) in add-ons.
Here are some facts about the all-action midfielder.
• Ndombele had a very tough beginning to his career as he was rejected by several clubs during his childhood for being “overweight” despite his tremendous talent. He was eventually signed up by SC Amiens — where he made his breakthrough.
• In August 2017, Ligue 1 giants, Lyon signed him on a season loan deal for €2m with an option to make the deal permanent. Ndombele impressed on loan, and Lyon quickly activated their option to sign him for €8m and also agreed to a clause that allows Amiens to take 20% from a future transfer fee.
• He made his debut for Lyon against PSG in September 2017 and scored his first goal against Villarreal in the Europa League in February 2018.
• Ndombele his known for his accomplished dribbling, superb tackling, box-to-box ability, game reading, dynamism, and pace. He has earned comparisons with some of the game’s established stars like N’golo Kante, Adrien Rabiot, Arturo Vidal and Moussa Dembele (the player he was signed to replace at Tottenham). At his unveiling for Lyon in 2017, the club’s president, Jean-Micheal Aulas, compared him to former Lyon and Chelsea fans’ favorite Michael Essien.
• The 22-year-old scored three goals and made eight assists in all competitions last season amongst so many eye-catching displays which included a dazzling performance against Manchester City in the UEFA Champions League.
He has been capped six times by France.
Tottenham will surely be glad to have beaten off interests from the likes of Manchester United and Manchester City for the signing of a player who was included in the 2018/19 Ligue 1 team of the season and the UEFA Champions League squad of the season.
Let’s know your thoughts about Spurs’ new club-record signing by using the comment box below. Thanks for your time.