7 Quick Facts About Man United’s New Striker: Edinson Cavani
After being frustrated in their pursuit of attackers to boost their ranks throughout the summer transfer window, Manchester United eventually captured former PSG striker Edinson Cavani on transfer deadline day. The 33-year-old has penned a one-year contract with the option of another year.
He was signed on a free transfer after his contract with PSG expired but was paid €4 million as sign-on fee.
Cavani has been handed the club’s famous No.7 jersey and is expected to earn £10 million in wages.
HERE ARE 7 QUICK FACTS ABOUT EDINSON CAVANI:
1. Cavani won the Serie A Golden Boot in 2012/13 after scoring 29 GOALS for Napoli.
2. His £53 million (€64m) transfer from Napoli to PSG in 2013 made him the most expensive signing in French football history and the 6th highest in football history as at then.
3. Cavani is PSG’s all-time highest goalscorer with 200 goals in 301 matches.
He won 19 trophies at PSG.
4. He won the Ligue 1 Golden Boot twice (2016/17 and 2017/18) and was the Ligue 1 Player of Year in 2016/17.
5. Cavani is Uruguay’s 2nd highest goal-scorer of all-time — behind Luis Suarez.
6. He has represented his country in an incredible 8 major international tournaments and was part of the Uruguayan side that won the Copa America in 2011.
7. Cavani’s nickname is “El Matador” (The Bullfighter/”The Killer”)
In an interview, he once said on his nickname:
“They started calling me it there [at Napoli], the fans.
The killer*. It’s a nickname that I like.”