Who is Rodrygo? 6 Things To Know About The Real Madrid Youngster
Rodrygo Silva de Goes sealed a €40 million transfer to Real Madrid. The talented teenager shocked the world with this move. Santiago Solari has made progress with Real Madrid, and the young Brazilian whizkid is looking to be part of that resurgent Real Madrid.
When Rodrygo Goes agreed his future switch from Santos, he followed the footsteps of another Brazilian teenager – Vinicius Junior, who had sealed a €45m move to the Spanish capital a few years back. He has already been dubbed as Brazil’s “new Neymar”. Here are some few things to know about the Real Madrid-bound forward.
1. Rodrygo was born January 9, 2001, in Osasco, Brazil. He started playing football in 2011 at Santos’ youth setup at the young age of 10. He became the captain of the Peixe’s under-11 team. He plays as a forward and wears the number 9.
2. Rodrigo made his Copa Libertadores debut on the 1st of March 2018. Then he was aged 17 years, and 50 days, he became the youngest Santos player to appear in the competition.
3. Two weeks later n the same competition, he scored his first goal in the tournament. He became the youngest ever Brazilian to score in the Copa Libertadores.
4. He officially signed for Real Madrid in June 2018 for a fee rumoured to be about €45 million.
5. Just like Neymar Junior, he transcends with the ball at his feet and has remarkable dribbling skills. He also has good judgement on when to take on the defender or pass to his teammates.
6. Rodrygo’s father Eric Batista was also a footballer. He played as a right back in the Brazilian Série B.
In 2017, Rodrygo was called up to the Under-17 Brazilian team for the 2017 Montaigu tournament and scored his team’s only goal in a 2-1 loss against Denmark and scored two more goals against the United States and Cameroon.
In his serie A games, de Goes has scored five goals and had two assists playing as the second striker for the Peixe. His shots have hit the net eight times, and this has convinced Real Madrid of the youngster’s talent. Rodrygo has been unstoppable although he still has a long way to go. It has also been observed from his brilliant performances that he has what it takes to be Pele, Neymar and Robinho.
The 18-year-old is preparing to move to Real Madrid. Rodrygo has shown great maturity in Santos, and now he looks poised to face the best defenders in La Liga. He is the second Brazilian talent to be chosen for the Bernabeu in recent years.