Arsenal has announced the capture of teenage Brazilian forward, Gabriel Martinelli from Brazilian side, Ituano.
The North Londoners were among the numerous clubs which were interested in his services – with his agent stating as many as 25 different sides. The 18-year-old is highly rated in Brazil and is very talented.
Unai Emery made sure the new winger was signed as part of his squad overhaul in Arsenal.
Here are six things to know about Gabriel Martinelli.
6 Things to Know About Gabriel Martinelli
1. His full name is Gabriel Teodoro Martinelli Silva, and he was born in Guarulhos, São Paulo on 18 June 2001. He began his youth career in Corinthians for the futsal team in 2010 and played there till 2014.
2. He joined Ituano in 2015 and was promoted to the first team in 2018. He made his debut for the club when he was aged 16 years and nine months, thus becoming the youngest player ever to debut for the club in the century.
3. While playing in the 2019 São Paulo State Championship (Campeonato Paulista), he helped Ituano to a fascinating finish as they won their group before being knocked out in the quarterfinals by Brazilian giant São Paulo FC. He finished the competition as joint second-most goalscorer in the tournament with six goals. That feat earned a spot in the Team of the Season, and he was also awarded the title of Newcomer of the Year.
4. Although he has not made his debut for the Brazilian national team. He has been called up to train with the main Brazilian national team. It was on 20 May 2019 that Martinelli got called up by Brazil national team manager Tite to participate in the preparatory training for the 2019 Copa América.
5. He is a strong fan of Cristiano Ronaldo and models his game around Cristiano Ronaldo. Speaking on the Arsenal website, he described the Portuguese legend as a player who works hard and pouches himself to the next level. He also added: “I look up to Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar as they are players who can decide games and are very professional.”
6. Gabriel Martinelli is also a very prolific goalscorer. While playing for the Corinthians youth team, he scored over 200 goals before moving to Ituano. In Ituano, he splendid goalscoring form continued at Ituano, where he scored a remarkable 64 goals in 92 games.
Gabriel Martinelli is now an Arsenal player, and he is ready to deliver for the gunners.