The 2020/21 Copa del Rey will be the 119th edition of the Copa del Rey. The Historical Spanish Cup will return next year. The winners of the 2021 Copa Del Rey will secure a place in the 2021/22 UEFA Europa League. The winners and the runners-up of the tournament will also qualify for the four-team 2021/22 Supercopa de España.
Let’s bring you some things to know about the 2021 Copa Del Rey.
No defending champions yet
The defending champions coming into this tournament have not yet been determined. In the last edition, Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad reached the final. However, the final was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Notwithstanding, the 2020 Copa Del Rey final will be played on 4 April 2021, and the winners will defend their title if they advance to the 2021 Copa Del Rey final.
The RFEF released the schedule for the 2020/21 Copa Del Rey back in September this year. The Schedule is as follows:
- Preliminary round: 11 November 2020
- First round: 15/16 December 2020
- Second round: 5/6 January 2021
- Round of 32: 16 January 2021
- Round of 16: 26/27 January 2021
- Quarterfinals: 2/3 Feb 2021
- Semifinals: 9/10 Feb 2021 and 2/3 March 2021*
- Final: 18 April 2021.
*Only the semifinals will be played home and away.
The participating Teams in the 2021 Copa Del Rey will be 126 in total.
- The 20 teams of the 2019/20 La Liga season
- The 22 teams of the 2019–20 Segunda Division season
- Top seven non-reserve teams of each group of the 2019–20 Segunda División B season, excluding reserve teams
- The best non-reserve team of each one of the 18 groups of the 2019–20 Tercera División season and the best 14 runners-up, excluding reserve teams
- The four semifinalists of the 2020 Copa Federación de España
- The winners of the 20 groups of the fifth tier in the 2019–20 season.
Favourites to win the 2021 Copa Del Rey
The top ten favourites to win the 2020/2021 Copa Del Rey are:
- FC Barcelona
- Real Madrid
- Athletico Madrid
- Real Sociedad
- Real Betis
- Deportivo La Coruña.