20 Amazing Stats And Facts From The First Round Of The 2018 World Cup
The FIFA World Cup has successfully kicked off in full gear. So far we have already had a hat trick, owngoals, penalty goals, VAR goals, free-kick goals and huge shockers. This 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia promises to be very exciting as the matches progresses.
Today we will look at some amazing key statistics from the World Cup matches played so far.
1. Sergei Ignashevich of Russia became the oldest outfield player to feature in a World Cup match since Roger Milla in 1994. The CSKA Moscow defender was 38 years, 335 days.
2. Former Real Madrid forward Denis Cheryshev became the first ever substitute to score in the opening match of a FIFA World Cup tournament.
3. Uruguay’s manager Oscar Tabárez’s made his fourth World Cup appearance after 1990, 2010 and 2014. He has more than any other manager at this year’s tournament.
4. Iran became the first team, since 1966, to score a goal in a half of football in the World Cup without attempting a single shot in that half.
5. Current Ballon D’Or winner 4 – Cristiano Ronaldo became the fourth player to score in four separate World Cup tournaments (also Pelé, Miroslav Klose and Uwe Seeler).
6. Cristiano Ronaldo also became the the oldest ever player to score a World Cup hat-trick. History at 33 years, 130days.
7. Kylian Mbappe (19 years & 6 months) is the youngest France player ever to play a game in a major tournament both the World Cup and the Euros.
8. Sergio Aguero’s goal was his first at a World Cup, in what is his ninth appearance across three different tournaments in the competition.
9. Lionel Messi attempted 11 shots for Argentina vs Iceland (the most he’s ever attempted in a World Cup game), but he still didn’t manage to score a goal.
10. The last Danish goalkeeper with more saves in a World Cup match than Kasper Schmeichel v Peru was his father, Peter Schmeichel in France 1998.
11. On June 16th, 2018 they had five penalties taken in World Cup that day. The last single day to see more in the competition was June 24th 1998.
12. Aleksandar Kolarov’s goal was the third scored from a direct free-kick in the 2018 World Cup, already as many as the entirety of the previous tournament in 2014.
13. Rafael Márquez appeaeed in his fifth different World Cup finals tournament, equalling the record held by Antonio Carbajal (Mexico) and Lothar Matthäus (Germany).
14. 1982 – Germany have lost their opening match at a World Cup for only the second time, also doing so in 1982 against Algeria. Surprisingly, they went on to reach the final that year.
15. This is the third consecutive World Cup in which the reigning champion has failed to win their opening match – Italy drew 1-1 with Paraguay in 2010, while Spain lost 5-1 against the Netherlands in 2014.
16. The last player to be fouled more in a #WorldCup game than Neymar v Switzerland (10) was Alan Shearer in 1998 (11 v Tunesia).
17. Harry Kane is the first player to score against two different goalkeepers in the same World Cup match since Diego Forlan vs South Africa in 2010.
18. More than 50% of goals at the 2018 World Cup have come from set pieces.
19. Hirving Lozano scored his fourth goal in his last five shots on target for Mexico in the game against Germany.
20. Panama were cautioned 5 times in their opening match. The highest of any team at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
We will keep you posted on more statistics for each round.
Thanks for reading. Please share this to all your friends, they would like to read this too!