Almoez Ali may not be a popular name in football worldwide, but he is definitely a big shot on the Asian continent. Almoez Ali became the top goal scorer at the just-concluded 2019 Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates.
His nine goals propelled 2022 FIFA World Cup hosts, Qatar to victory in the 2019 Asian Cup and helped them claim the title for the first time. Here are some things to know about Almoez Ali, the goal machine of Qatar.
1. His full name is Almoez Ali Zainalabiddin Abdullah. Almoez Ali was born on 19 August 1996 and is aged 22. Ali was born in Sudan, Africa and moved to Qatar when he was a child.
2. Ali began playing football at 7. He played for Al-Mesaimeer, moved to Aspire Academy. He was also part of the youth setup in Lekhwiya SC and Belgian club Eupen.
3. Almoez Ali joined Spanish club Cultural Leonesa in Spain’s third tier football division, the Segunda División B. There, he became the first Qatari footballer to score in a Spanish league.
ALSO FIND OUT: 3 Talking Points From Manchester City’s Win over Arsenal
4. Ali joined Al-Duhail in the 2016/2017 season and was part of the team who went unbeaten in the QSL title campaign.
5. He has played for most of Qatar’s youth teams. Almoez Ali was even the highest goal scorer in the 2018 AFC U-23 Championship with six goals and help Qatar reach third-place.
6. In the 2019 Asian Cup, Ali scored four goals in 51 minutes against North Korea in the group stages. That was the second fastest duration in which a footballer scored four goals in the Asian Cup. It was Iranian Ali Daei, who scored four goals in 23 minutes in 1996.
7. Furthermore, Ali broke Mansour Muftah’s a record of five goals scored for the Qatar senior national team in the AFC Asian Cup and also broke the record for the most goals scored in a single AFC Asian Cup edition this 2019. He won the tournament highest goalscorer award and most valuable player award of that tournament.
Almoez Ali and his teammates performed splendidly at the tournament, and even though some countries disappointed us at the 2019 Asian Cup, we definitely enjoyed it.